If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (909) 390-0238

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

SERVPRO of Northeast Ontario/Kaiser is Always Available to Restore Damage from Electrical Fires

Electrical Fires: DO NOT add Water

Electrical fires are a risk for any building that has electricity, even residential properties.  

In case of electrical fire, it is vitally important to remember:

  1. Turn off the electric power (or have it turned off).
  2. Never use water or other fire suppressants that conduct electricity; doing so can cause electrocution, which may be fatal.

Risk in the United States

  • More than 50,000 electrical fires in homes each year
  • Residential property damage adds to $1 billion
  • 8,200 electrical fires at commercial properties each year
  • Businesses claimed $431 million in losses from electrical fires in just one year
  • Electrical fires have been increasing

According the NFPA (National Fire Protection Association):

  • Electrical fires are the second leading cause of U.S. home fires (behind unattended kitchen equipment)
  • 13% of home fires are caused by electrical malfunctions or failures
  • Electrical fires caused the highest proportion of civilian deaths (19%)
  • Electrical fires caused the largest share of direct property damage (20%)

If an electrical fire hits an Ontario home or business, SERVPRO® of Northeast Ontario/Kaiser is ready with emergency service 24 hours/day, every day of the year.

Call us at 909-390-0238.

Firefighters cannot stress this fact enough: do not use water on electrical fires.

Water (and some other suppressants) conducts electricity, which means the electricity can travel through the water to a person’s body and back to the earth. Human bodies are not equipped to be part of electric circuits. Electrocution is always dangerous, and can be fatal.

Causes of Electrical Fires

Homeowners should notice signs that something is wrong with the electrical system, such as:

  • Arcing (sparks moving from one point to another)
  • Burning smell (arcing can occur behind walls)
  • Frequent power outages

Lack of maintenance:

  • Replace faulty circuits
  • Do not allow wires to bend or touch other wires because that causes electrical resistance that can lead to a fire
  • Dispose of frayed wires, extension cords, and old chargers
  • Dispose of damaged electrical equipment

Old equipment/ appliances

  • 19% of non-residential building fires are caused by equipment/appliance or electrical malfunctions
  • 13% of residential (home) fires are caused by equipment/appliance or electrical malfunctions
  • Replace outdated or faulty equipment, appliances, and wiring

Ignoring safety codes

  • Do not overload circuits
  • Do not use cords that are in poor shape
  • Use the correct amperage rating for circuits
  • Electrical systems can overload and cause fires if the circuits have higher-than-specified amperage

Call SERVPRO of Northeast Ontario/Kaiser any time